My research centers on three core themes: personality, social attitudes, and social perception. Below are some of the questions I have been trying to answer over the last few years:
- What role do genetic factors play in the etiology of social attitudes?
- What are the brain bases of individual differences in personality?
- Do genetic and environmental influences on childhood behavioral problems have implications for educational attainment?
- Do emotion recognition abilities generalize across modalities (e.g. face, body, voice)?
- Is social intelligence distinct from cognitive (general) intelligence?
- What inferences do we make about other people from their facial structure?
- Does personality predict attitudes towards climate change behavior, moral sentiment, political ideology?
Please get in touch if you have any questions about these lines of research, or if you would be interested in doing postdoctoral or PhD research in these areas. I also frequently have volunteer research positions, which allow undergraduates (typically those based at Royal Holloway) to gain insights into the day to day running of research. Please feel free to contact me if this would be of interest to you.
Email: gary.lewis [at] rhul.ac.uk